How I Deal With Acne Scars

10:44

One of my main acne related concerns is the scarring that I'm left with, after the breakout itself has receeded. Its frustrating and understandably so. As if the painful pimple wasn't enough, huh?
Acne scars are a problem because they take a LONG time to fade. Let me describe how it was for me, before I had a proper skincare routine: I used to break out, usually along my cheeks and jawline, around that time of the month. I would just cleanse twice a day, moisturize sporadically and hope that my scars would fade. They wouldn't. And a month would just pass by, JUST in time for another breakout!!! Therefore, as you can imagine, I had quite a collection of acne scars.
I've included some of my acne scar tackling tips below. Just a precaution, guys: This is what works for MY skin. I am not a skincare expert. That being said, here are my tips!
1) EXFOLIATE.
When I say exfoliate, I don't mean those grainy walnut/apricot/plastic microbead scrubs. NO. They don't do anything for the skin, except for irritating it and making it raw. By exfoliation I mean using acids. Salicylic, lactic, glycolic.
I tend to use both Alpha Hydroxy Acid (Glycolic) and Beta Hydroxy Acid (Salicylic) in my personal routine. I get Salicylic acid through my foam cleanser (Saslic Foaming Cleanser) and Glycolic acid through a cream (Glyco 6).
These acids dissolve dead skin, clear oil build up and reveal fresher skin with each use. The end result is brighter, clearer skin and a definite reduction in acne scarring.
(I will be doing a detailed post about AHAs and BHAs. Very soon.)
2) Moisturizer and Hydrate
The fact that you are using (chemical) exfoliants to treat your skin means that you need to be extra careful about moisturizing your skin. Pack on the moisture! Since I use acids on my skin during my night time routine, I prefer richer creams and lotions. Hell, I like to sleep with a full greaseball face!!! After using my acids I use one layer of Emolene cream and  one/two layers of Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. And no, it does not break me out. Skin NEEDS moisture. Especially when you are treating it with regular exfoliation. It will also lessen the appearance of scars, if your skin is properly hydrated. Inside out. Drink plenty of water and moisturize.
3) SUNSCREEN
Oh. My. God. Sunscreen HAS to be a part of your everyday routine. Especially when you are using acids. Photosensitivity is a side effect of acid exfoliation. Your skin will be much more susceptible to sun damage. Please use a non comedogenic sunblock (preferably one that contains Zinc or Titanium Dioxide) that suits your skin type. Aim for broad spectrum (UVA & UVB) protection. I myself use no less than SPF 40. Lotus Herbals, La Roche Posay, Cetaphil and Neutrogena make good sunscreens (which are available in the Indian market). Reapply frequently (depending on the amount of time you spend in the sunlight). By using sunscreen daily, not only are you protecting your skin at present, but you are also shielding it from sun damage which will show up in your later years in the form of wrinkles and sun spots. Start early. Also, better late than never. Sunscreen is the best investment you can make for your skin.
Exfoliate, moisturize and protect (with sunblock), its that simple! These are my top three tips for fading acne scars (and also for preventing further breakouts). I will be doing detailed posts regarding acid exfoliation and my evening skincare routine very soon. Watch this space!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Follow

Flickr Images